[originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]
- A person who enjoys exploring the details of products systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.
- One who designs, builds and programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys getting lost in a build rather than just theorising about making.
- A person who is good at assembling anything quickly that functions but is not necessarily perfect looking.
- An expert at a particular process or program, or one who frequently does work using IT or on IT; as in ‘a Unix hacker’.
- An expert or enthusiast of any kind (an astronomy hacker, for example).
- One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.
- [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around.
- Hence password hacker, network hacker.
- The correct term for this malicious meddler is a cracker.